The Clareview Multicultural Centre is a vibrant inclusive community hub for recreation, community development, intercultural exchange and learning among Edmontonians.
The Clareview Multicultural Centre’s mission is to enable Edmonton’s new and emerging multicultural communities to build and strengthen their capacity to grow and integrate into the social and civic life of the city by:
- Providing and facilitating access to space to meet community needs
- Facilitating culturally relevant program development and intercultural relationship- building
- Creating opportunities to promote the exchange of knowledge and skills among users and partners of the Multicultural Centre
- Developing skills and confidence of new and emerging multicultural communities to participate in Canadian society as formal organizations
The Clareview Multicultural Centre embraces the following principles:
- Community Participation – All people, especially those who are affected and impacted by the Clareview Multicultural Centre should have a voice in decision-making, either directly or through legitimate institutions or organizations that represent their interests. Effective participation is built upon the capacity to participate freely and constructively.
- Consensus Orientation – focus on mediating differing interests and perspectives to reach a broad consensus on what is in the best interests of the community.
- Strategic Vision – Community members and partners together look constructively at the future of the Clareview Multicultural Centre, grounded in an understanding of the historical, cultural and social complexities influencing its ongoing development.
- Equity and Inclusiveness – Processes will be used that engage stakeholders, partners and community members and pays attention to those who are historically marginalized from opportunities to participate and access to services and resources.
- Responsiveness – Development and operation of the Clareview Multicultural Centre should demonstrate adaptability to the unique and diverse capacities of the Centre’s stakeholders, community members andpartners.